Civil engineering makes the existence of large structures such as bridges, roads, buildings and different water supply systems possible to be built. Civil engineers supervise the construction of these infrastructures that are a big part of our world; they deal with various aspects of the construction process. During planning, they must also consider different aspects of the project such as the costs, impact on the environment, lifetime and environmental factors that can potentially have a huge effect on a project. Due to the complexity of some projects, civil engineers can have several specializations to choose from which include geotechnical engineering, structural engineering and transportation engineering.
You can understand the nature of the work of civil engineers through looking into the kind of responsibilities that they have. Hence, here is a list of tasks that civil engineers usually deal with:
- Examine technical and feasibility reports in preparation for a project.
- Estimate the cost of a project through creating and presenting a budget plan.
- Evaluate the project site to determine the environmental aspects of a certain location.
- Test and decide materials that are to be used for a project.
- Utilize computer software to come up with detailed project designs.
- Manage the materials and resources that are going to be used for construction.
- Deal with workers, contractors, architects and other individuals during implementation of the project.
- Look over the construction process and make sure that everything gets in place during the target timeframe.
To become a civil engineer, one must have a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or another relevant engineering degree. Enrolling in a degree program accredited by ABET is important for those who are seeking licensure as a professional engineer (PE). A license is mandatory for civil engineers who intend to work for the public sector.
In the year, civil engineers earned a median annual wage of $77,560 (equivalent to an hourly rate of $37.29). Civil engineering jobs are expected to have a 19 percent growth between the years. The skills of a civil engineer are needed in the repair and rebuilding of certain structures that are seen as ever-changing throughout the years. Civil engineers play an important role in the maintenance of these structures. 
Imagine a world without civil engineers and you might end up thinking of a world of disordered proportions. Transportation can become a huge problem due to the lack of highways and bridges or drinkable water might become a rare commodity if there would be no one to look after our water systems. Hence, it is safe to say that the next time your eyes meet a building of some sort, breathe a sigh of relief for you know that behind these structures are civil engineers who possess the knowledge and abilities to keep our modern world intact.
- “Civil Engineers”. Bureau of Labor Statistics.